Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thing 2

I think I was already supposed to do this post...oops.

The first assignment was to listen to an online lesson about the 7.5 Habits of Lifelong Learners and to post about which habits are both easiest and most difficult for you. So, without further ado...

Easiest: Create a Learning Toolbox
A learning toolbox is defined as the tools you need to learn whatever you are working toward. It includes books, technology, classes, mentors, friends, and webpages. This is totally me. When I want to know about something, my first thought is to "wikipedia it!" This has replaced googling it as my go-to, in fact. From there, I tend to seek out friends that are experts and basically force them to explain something to me. If I still want more info, I head to trusty old amazon.com and order a book on the subject. I think I am pretty good at gathering resources.

Hardest: View Problems as Challenges
Well! You didn't say learning a new skill would be hard! I am very easily frustrated. When I am learning something new and hit the wall, I tend to crash into it and then run away crying, rather than find a way to scale the wall. I remember trying to learn to snowboard. Despite my notorious lack of athletic ability, I thought I could probably learn to snowboard. Yeah, not so much. And, when I am not good at something, I tend to be done. I think it comes from being pretty adept at school as a child. I tend to pick up book knowledge pretty quickly, but acquiring new skills is another issue. I need to work on rising to the challenge of the things I want to learn, rather than deciding that "I didn't really want to learn how to do that anyway!"

No comments: